Roundtable: Investing in a sustainable future for aquaculture
In 2019, we hosted our first roundtable breakfast event in London looking at the challenges and opportunities in developing a sustainable future for aquaculture.
The event was the first in a series by Benchmark aimed at investors and analysts interested in ESG and aquaculture. It explored the risks, challenges and opportunities facing aquaculture, the role of technology in addressing these challenges and the rise of sustainability as a business imperative.
The breakfast session held in London was moderated by Rob Fletcher, Senior Editor of the Fish Site and alongside the following panellists:
- Faazi Adam, Research Manager, FAIRR Initiative, a Global Network of Investors Addressing ESG Issues
- Jason Carter, Aquaculture Investment Manager, IDH, the sustainable trade initiative
- Lucy Holmes, Senior Program Manager, The World Wide Fund for Nature
- Mike Velings, Founder and Managing Partner at Aqua Spark, a global investment fund that makes investments in sustainable aquaculture
- Øistein Thorsen, Director, Benchmark Holdings
Ivonne Cantu, Investor Relations Director, Benchmark, commented:
Investing in aquaculture offers significant opportunities for investors as long as its major risk factors are well understood – including climate change, feed ingredients, biodiversity, health and welfare and antibiotic resistance. Today was a great opportunity to bring some of the brightest sparks in the industry together to discuss ways to invest in a sustainable future for aquaculture.