CleanTreat® is a water purification system designed by Benchmark Animal Health for the aquaculture industry. Sea lice are a major issue in the salmon and trout farming industries and are often combatted with the use of medicinal treatments. These treatments commonly take place on board a wellboat, after which the treatment water is released into the sea. CleanTreat® is designed to purify the treatment water before discharging to sea to reduce the environmental impact of the industry. During operation, a team of analytical chemists conduct analysis of water samples from the CleanTreat® system to monitor for discharge concentrations of the active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) and aid in assessing system performance.
This new role will be responsible for providing analytical chemistry leadership for CleanTreat® in the business development function to solve technical challenges, improve system performance, and support system developments.
- Lead the development and validation of new analytical techniques for the CleanTreat® project with existing and new APIs and appropriate chemical parameters
- Provide analytical chemistry support to the Technical Development Manager, CleanTreat® in the development of system improvements
- Provide development chemistry support to the Lead Chemist, CleanTreat® to solve technical challenges with chemical analysis of CleanTreat® samples
- Work alongside the Product Manager, CleanTreat® and Technical Development Manager, CleanTreat® to support the creation and identification of Intellectual Property, Know-How and Trade Secrets relating to the CleanTreat® system.
- Work alongside contractors to provide support and guidance to external services, and review output deliverables.
- Lead the development of analytical methods to identify potential areas for improvement and opportunities to develop innovative detection methods for future APIs.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree level education in chemistry essential
- Experience in operation of HPLC equipment essential
- Experience of other analytical methods desirable
- Experience of leading analytical chemistry development projects desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong decision maker who can think clearly and communicate effectively under pressure
- Practically minded with the ability to troubleshoot
- Self starter who can identify and resolve problems before they arise
- Strong record keeping ability
- Ability to work in a small team to complete all tasks
- Ability to pass on prior relatable expertise/knowledge to other team members
- Ability to build and develop relationships at all levels
- Ability to effectively manage time across a range of projects
Reports to: Head of Business Development
Direct reports: None, CleanTreat® is a global project with significant opportunity for rapid professional progression
Location: Edinburgh, UK, with occasional requirement for international travel as required
To apply please send a CV and cover letter to Rob Squirell, Head of People (Interim), by 5th February 2021.