Driving sustainability through greater transparency and cooperation
Benchmark is proud to support the Global Salmon Initiative (GSI) which aims to drive industry-wide improvements in sustainability through greater transparency and cooperation, and raise the bar in industry performance.
Key highlights from the report include:
- 4 years’ (2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016) worth of data across 14 key environmental and social indicators
- This year’s report has been independently audited – raising the bar even higher on industry transparency
- 25% of GSI farms are now ASC certified (114 GSI farms)
- The continuing relative environmental advantage of farmed salmon over other protein sources
- Responsible use of marine ingredients thanks to innovations in feed resources and improvements in feed conversion ratios
- GSI members provide positive contributions to local communities – employing almost 20,000 people globally
By agreeing to work pre-competitively to mitigate environmental impacts, the GSI will help push the entire industry towards sustainability at a much quicker rate than would otherwise be possible.
The Global Salmon Initiative (GSI), formed in 2012, was established by leading CEOs from around the world who share a vision of providing a healthy and sustainable source of protein to feed a growing population, while minimising their environmental footprint, and continuing to improve their social contribution.
Click for the report
Click for more information about GSI